McKesson RN Calgary - Casual in Alberta, Canada
McKesson is in the business of better health and we touch the lives of patients in virtually every aspect of healthcare. At McKesson Canada, we touch the lives of 12 million Canadians every day. We carry more than 35,000 products in 17 distribution centers and ultimately provide distribution to 6,300 retail pharmacies, 1,350 hospitals, long-term care centers, clinics and institutions all over Canada. But we're so much more than a distribution company. We've automated 2,500 retail pharmacies and dispense over 100 million doses a year through our automation solutions. Manufacturers, healthcare providers and patients count on us for a full range of services that contribute to the quality and safety of care for us all.
At McKesson Canada, you’ll help us carry out our mission to improve lives and advance healthcare. Working here is your opportunity to shape an industry that’s vital to us all.
This position is responsible for providing professional nursing care to individuals including the intravenous or injection administration of biologics or other specialty pharmaceutical products and promotes patient health by completing health reviews prior to treatment, reviews patient files and collaborates with physicians and multidisciplinary team members as required, with the end goal of providing medical therapies or self-administration teaching to patients in an ambulatory as well as in patient homes or alternate location
The nurse uses critical thinking, therapeutic communication and clinical decision making skills to assess, plan, implement, educate and evaluate the patients’ health situation throughout their treatment therapy.
• Assessing the health status of patients using a pre-screening process that covers contraindications, objective and subjective data, to determine eligibility in receiving medical therapies.
• Insertion of peripheral intravenous or establishing access via central lines using sterile technique and best practices from the standards and practices of the college.
• Studying patient files and prior post-administration records to understand patient’s history.
• Handling and reconstituting biologic or oncology medication as per manufacturer and Heath Canada guidelines.
• Following provincial College of Nurses standards and guidelines on medication administration.
• Identifying patient care requirements; educating and providing counseling.
• Promoting patient independence; answering questions and teaching patients to understand their condition and medication.
• Documenting patient care services and managing records in accordance with INVIVA policies.
• Following INVIVA and nursing philosophies and standards of care.
• Following patient specific medical directives for administration and treatment of adverse events.
• Reporting adverse events in accordance with manufacturer specific requirements, Health Canada and INVIVA policy.
• Providing medical therapy monitoring and post administration observation and assessment.
• Maintaining knowledge of medical therapies as per Health Canada’s Product Monograph.
• Maintaining knowledge of INVIVA policies and procedures.
• Participating with drug and clinic audits upon request.
• Following drug accountability requirements as per INVIVA policy and standard operating procedure.
• Actively participates in training and mentoring of new clinic staff.
• Completing training as required by INVIVA on: products and services, policies, technology, quality assurance and communications.
• Maintaining quality, safety and infection control standards to ensure safe nursing practice
• Maintaining continuity among nursing teams by documenting and communicating actions, irregularities, and continuing needs.
• Establishing a compassionate environment and supporting patients.
• Maintaining and protecting patient confidentiality.
• Maintaining safe and clean working environment by complying with procedures, rules, and regulations.
• Ensuring proper operation of equipment by completing preventive maintenance requirements.
• Maintaining clinic medical and stationary supply levels.
• Maintaining up-to-date professional and technical knowledge by completing/attending educational workshops.
• Maintaining a cooperative relationship among health care teams by communicating information; responding to requests; building rapport; participating in team problem-solving methods.
• Contributing to team effort and corporate goals.
Competencies and Requirements
• Minimum 2 year Nursing Diploma.
• Bachelors of Science in Nursing is an asset.
• 3 years of critical care experience (i.e. ER, ICU) is an asset; recent acute care experience is required.
• Must have an active license and good standing as a Registered Nurse.
• Excellent vascular access therapy skills required.
• Excellent assessment, critical thinking and clinical decision making skills.
• Ability to work autonomously.
• Maintain CPR certification / ACLS certification is an asset.
• Ability to work at various clinics, patients’ home or alternate locations.
• Maintain yearly professional liability insurance.
• Excellent communication and collaboration skills with patients, colleagues and customers.
• Ability to work in a dynamic and rapidly changing environment.
• Excellent computer skills (i.e. MS Office, email and electronic patient records).
• For Quebec applicants – bilingual.
• Maintain a valid driver’s license and vehicle.
Benefits & Company Statement
McKesson believes superior performance – individual and team – that helps us drive innovations and solutions to promote better health should be recognized and rewarded. We provide a competitive compensation program to attract, retain and motivate a high-performance workforce, and it’s flexible enough to meet the different needs of our diverse employee population.
We are in the business of better health and we touch the lives of patients in virtually every aspect of healthcare. We partner with payers, hospitals, physician offices, pharmacies, pharmaceutical companies and others across the spectrum of care to build healthier organizations that deliver better care to patients in every setting.
But we can’t do it without you. Every single McKesson employee contributes to our mission—whatever your title, whatever your role, you act as a catalyst in a chain of events that helps millions of people all over the globe. Talented, compassionate people are the future of our company—and of healthcare. At McKesson, you’ll collaborate on the products and solutions that help us carry out our mission to improve lives and advance healthcare. Working here is your opportunity to shape an industry that’s vital to us all.
McKesson is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer.
No agencies please.
The material contained herein is provided for informational purpose only. All open jobs offered by McKesson Canada on this recruitment system are subject to specific job skill requirements. The job skill requirements, qualifications, and preferred experience are determined by a subsidiary, office or department within the company which is offering the position, and all positions are subject to local prevailing employment laws and restrictions. This would include immigration laws pertaining to work authorization requirements and any other applicable government permissions or compliance.
The materials on this site are provided without warranties of any kind, either expressed or implied, including but not limited to warranties regarding the completeness of information contained on this site or in any referenced links. While McKesson Canada attempts to update this site on a timely basis, the information is effective only as of the time and date of posting.
By providing your application to McKesson Canada you hereby consent to McKesson Canada obtaining personal information regarding you that is related to the position applied for. You also consent to McKesson Canada transferring your application details to our recruitment partners for their review and assistance. You also consent to McKesson Canada keeping your application on file. McKesson Canada is an equal opportunity employer. The information on this site is for information purpose only and is not intended to be relied upon with legal consequence.
Organization: McKesson Canada
Title: RN Calgary - Casual
Requisition ID: 17006991