McKesson Communications Senior Manager in Richmond, Virginia
McKesson is in the business of better health and we touch the lives of patients in virtually every aspect of healthcare. McKesson Medical-Surgical provides medical-surgical supplies and equipment to physicians' offices, home care agencies, long-term care facilities and surgery centers. Our catalog includes more than 150,000 national brand products from bandages to exam tables, plus McKesson's own line of high-quality medical-surgical products. We're proud to be the only national distributor serving the entire continuum of healthcare.
Every single McKesson employee contributes to our mission—by joining McKesson Medical-Surgical you act as a catalyst in a chain of events that helps millions of people all over the globe. Your expertise, drive and passion can help us improve everything we touch, from providers to payors to pharmacies. You’ll collaborate on the products and solutions that help us carry out our mission to improve lives and advance healthcare. Working here is your opportunity to shape an industry that’s vital to us all.
Join our team of leaders to begin a rewarding career.
The Communications Senior Manager develops and leads communications strategy, messaging development and planning/execution of new and existing employee communication channels and vehicles. This senior communications professional will be the champion, voice and deep subject matter expert for a large and diverse group of top leaders, serving as an organizational resource for all facets of coaching, best practices, innovative approaches and continuous improvement of senior leaders’ communications effectiveness. This position is responsible for crafting complex, interdependent communication strategies, translating their expertise into differentiated approaches and managing initiatives designed to measurably propel McKesson Medical-Surgical’s communications to Global Best Employer levels. This includes exploring new channels (with a focus on digital), leveraging new tools, services and programs for leaders and the all employee audience.
Owns and directs the development of people-leader communications. Executes key communications vehicles with excellence. Forms strong relationships with and grows into a trusted advisor for key people-leaders. Leads the assessment of current employee engagement, business environment and employee needs; development of leadership messaging; creation of multi-channel communication campaigns; communication of results analysis. Coaches leaders to continually improve their communications. Manages others on cross-functional project teams.
• Promote audience-based solutions: Be the workforce deep subject matter expert and employee advocate, translating employee needs for communications and aligning to impactful solutions. Lead the strategy, planning and execution of frequent and engaging communications engagement and integrated campaigns, leveraging multiple channels. Develop specific communication plans for select senior leaders.
• Offer a consultative approach: Bring proven abilities and success in adding value with a client-focused approach. Use metrics and analysis to help leaders understand opportunities and continually improve their communications.
• Provide communications coaching: Bring a proven communications expertise with the ability to clearly, constructively and confidently provide useable coaching to senior people-leaders. Use survey data and focus-group feedback to encourage and grow leaders’ abilities to communicate inspirationally and to target start-stop-continue areas for how they deliver messages to their teams.
• Foster two-way communications: Develop and foster two-way communications channels between leaders and their teams – especially those separated geographically.
• Conduct regular audience research: Gain a deep understanding of the information needs, wants and concerns of our varied employee segments – with a special focus on already-identified, in-need groups.
• Converse often: Regularly talk with employees across the spectrum of roles to stay familiar with their communications needs and opinions and to build trust and credibility.
• Leverage a multi-channel approach: Quickly gain an understanding of our current 20 communications vehicles and the existing strategy for each, with an eye to leveraging the existing suite of solutions with leaders who may not be aware of a particular channel/vehicle.
• Manage and improve key communications vehicles: Executing quarterly all employee calls, revamping our internal TV system, and increasing the use of video for our employee communications.
• Test and learn “New” channels & vehicles: Research best practices and communication developments to test and learn with “new” communications channels and vehicles to best reach employees where they are. Investigate digital technology opportunities and recommend go-forward tactics in digital communications.
Focus especially on “non-wired” employees: Dedicate significant energy and expertise to improving how we reach our 3,000 warehouse-based employees to engage them more effectively to support customers, retention and business growth. Other responsibilities
• Education of leaders on communication tips and tools.
• Supporting role for annual National Sales Conference and Leadership Meeting.
• Leading and supporting role of cross-segment projects and cross business unit activities.
• Being adaptable and flexible in shifting focus and efforts as required by the business.
5 years communications, public relations or related experience including 2 years managerial experience
• Models exceptional communication skills – interpersonal, written and visual
• Self-directed and able to operate and execute independently with minimal supervision
• 10 years of internal or external communications experience for large organizations
• 10 Experience managing multiple projects, leading cross-functionally and influencing stakeholders
• Experience with audience/market research, analysis and best practices
• Experience in setting strategy and developing leadership messaging
• A/V experience and abilities to ensure successful meetings
• Executive level presentation skills
Additional Knowledge & Skills
• Strong project management skills
• Vendor selection and management
• Demonstrated data and analytical skills
• Academic and practical experience with a wide range of communications and analytical methodologies
• Healthcare experience
• Knowledge/experience serving warehouse-based employees
4-year degree in journalism, communications, business or related field or equivalent experience
• Traditional office environment
• Large percent of time performing desk-based work (computer, telephone) is required
• Travel less than 25% - although may be more in the first year
Benefits & Company Statement
McKesson believes superior performance – individual and team – that helps us drive innovations and solutions to promote better health should be recognized and rewarded. We provide a competitive compensation program to attract, retain and motivate a high-performance workforce, and it’s flexible enough to meet the different needs of our diverse employee population.
We are in the business of better health and we touch the lives of patients in virtually every aspect of healthcare. We partner with payers, hospitals, physician offices, pharmacies, pharmaceutical companies and others across the spectrum of care to build healthier organizations that deliver better care to patients in every setting.
But we can’t do it without you. Every single McKesson employee contributes to our mission—whatever your title, whatever your role, you act as a catalyst in a chain of events that helps millions of people all over the globe. Talented, compassionate people are the future of our company—and of healthcare. At McKesson, you’ll collaborate on the products and solutions that help us carry out our mission to improve lives and advance healthcare. Working here is your opportunity to shape an industry that’s vital to us all.
McKesson is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer – minorities/females/veterans/persons with disabilities.
Qualified applicants will not be disqualified from consideration for employment based upon criminal history.
Job Family Title: Communications Manager 3
Job: Public Affairs
Organization: McKesson Medical Surgical
Title: Communications Senior Manager
Requisition ID: 18004448